"Everybody knows a work of art takes at least an hour!" Lucy to Linus, (Peanuts)

FineArtViews Painting Competition - Twice in the Fav 15%

http://canvoo.com/boldbrush/badge/13203 three times selected for FAV15%, Fine Art Views Bold Brush Painting Competition

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Being with the group...




       Yesterday I traveled down to Black Creek (Courtenay area) to join with the art group again.  It has been many weeks. Only a few of us were present but it was so nice to meet and commiserate after so long! Elaine didn't get to be in the shot because she was busy taking it. She also provided wonderful goodies for us to consume and a chance to see her temporary new digs right down at the waterfront on a tree lined, beautiful area near Miracle Beach. Too bad it was all fogged in but it didn't keep us from laughing and chattering and catching up on everything. I really do need this group every so often to help keep me grounded. 

       As you can see I have continued, slowly, to work on this Peony piece. If I can get this and the Iris finished by the 23rd I can enter them in the upcoming Blossom exhibit at the FCA. If I don't that is ok too. Michael Ward, the model, is now scheduled to come up here on the 17th so I am hoping that nothing gets in the way this time! Our weather was beautiful, except for heavy fog in Campbell River, for a couple of days but now it is back to overcast and rainy but not quite so cold as it was a week ago. 

       My ex Mother-in-law died this week. She was a wonderful woman and I cared very much about her. We had kept in touch even though I was no  longer officially a member of her family and she is going to be missed by a lot of people. At 92 she was still living in her own home, very independent and her death came suddenly - no lingering suffering. 

       Still having to pull motivation out of myself. Feeling dreary and old. The morning walks are helping but I really have to DO something to get my motor tuned up. Having Michael come to model for me next week may do the trick. 


4 comments:

  1. Good to see you posting again, Karen. This time of year is hard to get motivated and those visits with the group can do a world of good. Glad you made the trip. Good luck with the model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I am so sorry about the loss of your friend (and ex mom-in-law). I know the feeling old syndrome. I have it too. Still, having such a wonderful group to get together with looks like so much fun! I wish I had something similar here. Your flower is stunning, so much depth, almost as if it is jumping off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning "You"!... Sorry to hear of your loss! I share a similar experience and feeling of loss... with the passing this past year of my ex Father-in-law. Mac and I were great pals...long after our split up and right up to his passing. He was a kind and generous soul... and a mentor for me. But... he had a wonderful life and mercifully quick passing. I know that feeling... another part of life missing!

    Good company is truly the "chicken soup"... for cabin fever... and loss! Your photos paint a picture of conjoviality... a true "Order of Good Cheer!" Remember Champlain and his creation of that group to help his ailing heartsick and homesick troops wintering in the Quebec wilderness... with no possible way home?

    Hang on till your model arrives... and keep doing what you do so very well! Paint!(still lifes)...Paint! (flowers)... and Paint some more!!!

    Good Hunting!... and Much Happiness!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your loss. It is such a treasure to have wonderful relationships in our lives from family, adopted family, and good art friends. I am always inspired by your posts. Reading about your triumphs and struggles makes me feel that it isn't just me, we all go through these things. Can't wait to see the model in a box develop! Cheers, Renee

    ReplyDelete