"Everybody knows a work of art takes at least an hour!" Lucy to Linus, (Peanuts)

FineArtViews Painting Competition - Twice in the Fav 15%

http://canvoo.com/boldbrush/badge/13203 three times selected for FAV15%, Fine Art Views Bold Brush Painting Competition

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Time to refocus




Here is the final painting. The top image is from before I softened the feathers on the edge of Chica...it is correct in the full length image.  The tail feathers are not cropped off in the original either but my camera distorts a bit when trying to photograph a long, thin object like this canvas shape. I cropped out the wavy edge, but you get the idea. If I have to start editing my editing in this blog it will cease to be fun and I'll stop doing it.  I have emotionally already moved on from this painting. I don't know, yet, what is next, but I have several good options.  I'll be cleaning the studio and getting this and other paintings ready to take for exhibit next weekend. I have to get mat board and cut new mats for several life drawings that I'm framing for a show in March. 
  I have several books to get back to reading. I generally read for a while every day, mornings and later at night, but lately I haven't put in much time doing that. I have eclectic taste and hop back and forth from psychology, philosophy, ecology, mysteries, humour, historical, and biographies. I don't retain much of the specific details but the general feel of a book stays with me. I once had an excellent memory but I need to rely on clues now to remind me of things. It's irritating but has to be accepted. I do try to use visualization to remember people's names but it often doesn't work because I forget what objects I visualized. Ban Ki-moon is a case in point that did work - finally. I visualized a tube of Ban roll-on deodorant, a key, and the moon. I did the same to remember Kofi Annan by thinking, coffee and Queen Anne. I am getting good at remembering who UN Secretary Generals are but I need to move on to remembering people I actually meet.  At least if I should ever run in to Ban or Kofi I'm all set to not embarrass myself by asking "...and you are?"   

6 comments:

  1. Such funny humor! The painting is really wonderful. You are so talented. She is sure to win a prize and maybe a sale too. I'm going to be posting the "dead" painting of one I am working on in my class soon. It is hard to believe that in the 8 week class I have worked 24 hours on this one painting and at least 24 more at home. If I ever sold it, I'd be making about $2. an hour. Whew. Still, the Renaissance method is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    WOW... This is absolutely gorgeous. I am so impressed how realistic this portrait is.

    I am so glad I got to see your painting process. You are rather fast. Some artist would take six months or more to complete a painting. BRAVO...

    I wish you luck in your showing.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pleased you like it and thank you for the kind comments. Michael,
    I do sometimes take months and years to finish a painting. This one came along fairly fast. I was motivated to get it done in time to show. I need a fire built under me quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, I am so excited to see Samanda in all her glory. She is beautiful. Your use of patterns is phenomenal. I also really enjoyed that nice green highlight on Samanda's cheek resting against Chica. She is really stunning.

    Congratulations on a wonderfully successful painting. I can almost hear your sigh from across the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the close up. Very nice expression in her eyes.

    ReplyDelete