"Everybody knows a work of art takes at least an hour!" Lucy to Linus, (Peanuts)

FineArtViews Painting Competition - Twice in the Fav 15%

http://canvoo.com/boldbrush/badge/13203 three times selected for FAV15%, Fine Art Views Bold Brush Painting Competition

Friday, May 25, 2012

You Can't Always Get What You Want...

"Spanish Shawl"  oil on canvas  40"x16"

       
       Completed this painting by the May 25th deadline, but haven't entered it yet as I had a connection problem for a day and a half with my router/computer. I think the lush new growth of all the trees, including a large willow and several fruit trees between house and studio have gotten in the way. Bob says that shouldn't be the case since he gets his connection in his office at the other end of the house through two walls from the kitchen. I still maintain it isn't quite the same. The studio is a good 150 feet from the house and the connection just isn't making it through now - it had up until the trees filled in. At least it isn't a problem with my computer as I really cannot afford a new computer or even a repair job right now. So I sit in the kitchen at the table, but that will have to be temporary...where can I set up here without being in the way? I use the computer in my studio quite a lot - my printer is also out there and my camera, etc.  These are the times when I wish I had gone with a laptop instead of this desktop - but the desktop was so beautiful and the screen so large, and it called to me! I love this computer! But it is a real pain to cart around...


view from kitchen window and router to studio (way back to the left)

View from studio window to house and kitchen window



       One of my paintings in the FCA Still Life show in Vancouver has been purchased but I don't know which one. Bob took the call while I was in my studio and can't remember if they told him which one it was. Doesn't matter, the extra income is very welcome and I will know eventually when they send the unsold one home in a few weeks. Here are the two entries:


"Apples in Red Bowl"   oil on canvas  14"x18"

"Fruit and Jug on Lace"  pastel  19"x26"


       This is the first time I've sold anything from being in a FCA show in Vancouver. I was beginning to wonder how much traffic the FCA Gallery actually gets as I don't many who do sell in the shows, but then, I don't personally know that many FCA members either - they are from all across Canada. 

           The timing is good since the same day this work sold our Rural Property Tax bill arrived and is approximately the amount of renumeration I will receive after the gallery takes its percentage. I still hope to get a new camera eventually but I have to remember that you can't always get what you want but, if you try, you get what you need...and it's one of my favorite Rolling Stones tunes.


6 comments:

  1. A perfect finish, Karen! The embroidered flowers are gorgeous. So is your yard! Congratulations on the sale too. Good things happening in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the sale...and the newest mistress-piece...HA HA!!! always and encouraging to any artist. Helps put one finger in the dyke... never seems to ever completely solve the business of getting ahead. But!... you have your Health... Bob... your Furry Pals... and your beautiful piece of Paradise!

    A better camera? Just more time spent away from actually painting! How much better would it make your already wonderful imagery?

    I wonder!

    Good Painting and Happy Summer yo you and Bob!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Karen,

    How lovely your place is, so tranquil and serene! I would certainly get inspired to paint there. I hope someday I have the fortune of having a studio equally as lovely so I can paint beautiful art like you.. For know I must settle for my illustration type art which seems to work for me right now.

    You paintings, as always, are STUNNING.

    Congrats on the sale. One day I hope to be able to purchase one of your lovelies. Actually, if I nab this client I am working on getting, I just might have to commission you to do something for him. He's into British Colonial and your style of flora and fauna would be ideal. I hope to have a signed contract by November. Do you have a website with several pieces of your work? I would LOVE to show it to him.

    I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to everyone! Bruce I didn't think of these as "mistress pieces" but interesting thought:-)
    Michael, yes, I have a website. It says so at the top of this page...just click on my picture and it will take you there! If for some reason it doesn't go to www.karenmartinarts.ca Would LOVE to do something for your client! Good luck getting the contract signed...November seems far off but I know these things take time.
    You are welcome to visit us here on the island if you ever get some spare time...good place for writing as well as painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molto belli i dipinti! buon inizio settimana...ciao

    ReplyDelete