"Everybody knows a work of art takes at least an hour!" Lucy to Linus, (Peanuts)

FineArtViews Painting Competition - Twice in the Fav 15%

http://canvoo.com/boldbrush/badge/13203 three times selected for FAV15%, Fine Art Views Bold Brush Painting Competition

Monday, October 4, 2010

Waiting and Wondering

Heather with Peonies oil 14"x14"
This is one of my two entries into this year's Blossom competition - the one with the big awards and a national tour. You are allowed to enter a painting that includes subjects other than flowers, but flowers must be a major part of the image. I don't know if my portraits of two sisters with flowers around them will qualify (the other is my "Nicole in the Rose Trellis" piece.) I love to paint most subjects but it always feels more "right" for me if a figure is included. Entering shows is now part of my regular routine but the waiting and wondering if it will be accepted is a bit frustrating. There are so many wonderful artists now...have there always been? Or is it that we are a more affluent society that has allowed the inner artist in so many to come to flower? More people can afford to be artists, not having to struggle just to survive...although there are still far too many in the world who exist that way. The starving artist in a garret is merely a romantic notion that has never been the best way to nurture one's talents. Most artists don't care about becoming millionaires but not having the funds to keep a roof over your head, decent food in your belly, and pay for the needs of your children is not in anybody's definition of a great way to become "true to your art." So, I continue to enter shows even though part of me dislikes the whole juried thing, the separating what one person or a committee thinks is good from what they think is not worthy...when, in fact, the same work presented to a different jury will likely be rated differently.
It's a gamble but part of being an artist is not to hide your light (i.e., your work) under a barrel but to have others be engaged with what you have done, to find delight or meaning in it and to let you know that your efforts are appreciated. We all need a pat on the back once in a while...and
some coin to put in the bank on occasion is nice too.

6 comments:

  1. Such a lovely piece Karen! The body position mirrors your profile pic too.

    No truer words that what you wrote of competitions. Art is so subjective and difficult many times without facing open-minded judges. Always need to remember that and not take decisions personally, no matter how difficult that may be. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another breathtaking painting!! This is just so incredible Karen! I so agree with your words on competitions. I'd love to say I don't enter any because competition brings out the worst in me, but it's actually because I'm just not good at rejection! Whatever the outcome, this is simply stunning. Viewing your work is something I so look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super-Gorgeous work and such beautiful talent you embody! Wonderful!
    It is lovely to meet a fellow Canadian!
    Lovely blog! I just found you from Kelly's spotlight on you.
    Have a sparkling night
    Victoria,
    Enchanting the Invisible

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really, really good. I feel like I can touch her and she will respond!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen this is an absolutely magnificent piece. I feel certain that you will be accepted in the show. It's always a bit nerve racking waiting to hear if you're in, but here's a story to keep it all in perspective. We all know that jurying is very subjective but sometimes that's hard to bear in mind. Last year a friend of mine entered a great piece in a major show and it was declined. She entered the same piece in another major show and it won Best in Show!

    Thank you for your kind comments on my blog, and I will definitely enjoy following you as well. It's lovely to meet another Canadian artist online. Good luck with the show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Karen,
    I am glad to have found your blog via Suzanne's (All Kinds of everything).
    Those portraits are absolutely gorgeous. You are very talented.

    ♥ Hélène Glehen - a French artist, fond of roses and romantic stuff ♥

    ReplyDelete