"Everybody knows a work of art takes at least an hour!" Lucy to Linus, (Peanuts)

FineArtViews Painting Competition - Twice in the Fav 15%

http://canvoo.com/boldbrush/badge/13203 three times selected for FAV15%, Fine Art Views Bold Brush Painting Competition

Monday, January 25, 2010

Campbell River Exhibit

The opening for "Telling Stories" was attended by a small (35 people?) but enthusiastic group. Almost everyone stayed for the entire evening, which I am told is unusual for an exhibit reception. There was a lot of interest and appreciation for the very nicely displayed work (thank you, Kristen Scholfield-Sweet, curator) and many perceptive questions and comments. In addition the photographer, Michael J. Neufeld, from Comox, who has a showing in the Discovery Gallery section, gave a very interesting talk concerning his methods and motives. His beautiful landscape photos nicely contrast with the figurative works in the main gallery. Wine and baked goodies added to the festive ambiance. Some friends turned out for the occasion also which was so reassuring to me and everyone was having a very nice time. The bleak, grey, rainy weather we have been having for quite some time seemed of no consequence and luckily the rain had stopped in the afternoon. A brief respite only...it started to rain again over the weekend and continues even now. In this photo, courtesy of Susan Schaefer, Qualicum Beach artist and publisher of Island Arts magazine, I stand next to the painting of Sandy and mostly I am struck by how much I look like my mother. But there is wonderful news! Sandy has written that her dear friend, Luke, wants to purchase the painting and if this does occur I am extremely grateful! A more hopeful beginning to the year and perhaps more good news to come? It is nearly time to hang the show of figure drawings at the Union St. Grille and then I shall need to seriously think about what is next. There are several projects in my mind but, often, keeping ahead of my sense of futility and lack of purpose is sometimes all I can manage. I need to remember the idea of abundance in the universe and that artists are an important part of the story of mankind. Even my little contributions. So often it is difficult to do, especially in recessionary times like these. And so much pain and suffering around the world makes my small problems very insignificant indeed. I have much to be grateful for.

2 comments:

  1. hi Karen
    your blog is now listed at TAD R-Z section
    Please consider adding a TAD badge/link to your blog ..thank you
    cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope your family and health problems get resolved soon...and happily!

    ReplyDelete