"Everybody knows a work of art takes at least an hour!" Lucy to Linus, (Peanuts)

FineArtViews Painting Competition - Twice in the Fav 15%

http://canvoo.com/boldbrush/badge/13203 three times selected for FAV15%, Fine Art Views Bold Brush Painting Competition

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Accepting what is


       I suppose it all happens as it is supposed to with total disregard for our own wishes and/or needs. There is a saying that God laughs as you make plans. I am learning slowly (and you'd think 66 years would be enough time for the lesson) to just quietly accept what is. Learning to find joy in spite of all the problems on this planet is a bigger lesson. I can feel compassion without having to deny my own happiness. I think I am beginning to get it. 

       Michael, my male model did not arrive here yesterday. He became very ill mid week and had to go to emergency. He has pulmonary embolism, a very serious, potentially deadly condition. Is the universe in the way? No. Life just is like this sometimes. Dear Michael, I send a big hug and hope for your return to health very quickly, not for my sake but for your own.

       But perhaps I am being shown that another direction is required for my work. That is ok too if I can figure out what it is. I will continue with these two small florals and move on. Winter is coming to a close and we are having a few brighter days now at last. Feeling brighter in my heart too.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your model. Hope he has a good recovery from this serious health issue. Life has a way to change our plans. We just have to take it when it comes and deal with it the best way we can. I noticed the days are getting longer. At 5 pm the sun was still shining, the house is still bright at that time of day. Looking so forward to spring. I am taking a new direction in my paintings and feel quite excited about it. Will post photos when I finish the paintings on the other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Karen!... Your flower is exquisite! You have captured the essence of its fragility... despite its voluptuous, active folds of colour!

    I am genuinely saddened to hear of your model's illness. Sure hope that his recovery is full and in good time!

    Ever since you announced the perameters of your box project... interesting for certain... I always felt that... "the building of the box" served more as an analogy of where you were in your life... more than an artistic prop. "You" were the model restrained in the box that you built!

    Your words in this post suggest your very own reconciliation of these feelings... and will most certainly result in your returning to a more balanced and lasting state of Happiness!

    "The way we choose to see the world creates the world we see."

    Barry Neil Kaufman
    Happiness Is A Choice

    Spring is on the way... Chin up!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your iris is stunning, Karen! And you do not look your age, my friend. I thought you were about my age (and I look older than you)! Anyway, I also hope Michael gets better. That pulmonary embolism is deadly so I'm glad his was caught in time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your good wishes for Michael. Today he is apparently feeling better but I think it takes a while to recover from something like this so he'll have to be careful! And if you met me in person I think you'd realize I DO look my age:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that about Michael, I hope he gets better very soon. And everything you paint Karen, has this beautiful, lyrical touch to it that is just astounding. I love this floral. And I'm so glad you are feeling better too. :)

    ReplyDelete